Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 4] Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review the a
05 Apr Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 4] Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review the a
Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review the assigned material in your Stojkovic and Lovell (2019) textbook. Additionally, please read the article Toward a More Constitutional Approach to Solitary Confinement: The Case for Reform (Links to an external site.). As you recall, Week 1 had you prepare an outline to provide a foundation for this week’s assignment. For this assignment, you will develop your outline into a two-to-three-page paper. The goal is to consider constitutional rights of incarcerated persons and administrative objectives for correctional institutions. Additionally, this paper will also have you consider diversity awareness and cultural sensitivity issues in corrections. You will support your work with two scholarly and/or credible resources, in addition to your textbook. You may use scholarly and/or credible resources included in your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment. Address each of the elements below:
- Constitutional rights and administration
- Explain how constitutional rights of incarcerated persons are balanced with the correctional system functions of the jail or prison.
- Explain the mandatory rights that prison administrators must provide incarcerated persons, and how those rights are balanced with the security, safety, court requirements, visits, and other functions of the facility.
- Examine a U.S. Supreme Court case (you may use your selected case from your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment) that balances correctional administrative goals with the constitutional rights of incarcerated persons.
- Diversity and cultural sensitivity issues
- Explain at least one cultural sensitivity issue and at least one diversity issue in corrections (you may use the cultural sensitivity issue and diversity issue from your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment).
- Analyze perspectives on each issue within the context of constitutional rights and administrative functions in corrections.
*Note: You are encouraged to integrate any feedback from your instructor and upload the assignment to your ePortfolio (Links to an external site.).
The Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals paper
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Reyna A Estrella
The University of Arizona Global Campus
CRJ 303: Corrections
April 4, 2022
Issues And Constitutional Rights in Corrections
a) Introduction Statement
· The case of Plata v. Brown involves inmates who are experiencing severe medical conditions. The Government also appealed the three-judge court’s decision directing the Administration to reduce mass incarceration. After years of negotiations, it became clear that a solution for the statutory infractions would be ineffective unless the jail systems size was reduced. The growth in numbers has resulted in an increase in desire for care, and existing programming capacity and personnel levels were insufficient to keep up. Prisons had hired more health workers, but the “expansion of the resource had not kept pace with the increase in demand.”
b) Thesis Statement
· Overcrowding is the main cause of a federal right violation, namely the harsh and illegal maltreatment of inmates via extremely insufficient medical and mental health care.
1. Main body
i. First supporting idea
· Topic sentence- Overcrowding has outstripped prison staff’s limited resources, placed demands well beyond the capacity of medical and mental health institutions, and produced unclean and hazardous circumstances that make progress in providing treatment difficult or impossible
· Supporting Sentence- Overpopulation was shown to be the primary reason for inmates receiving substandard mental health care. As a result, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) have been attempting to securely relocate prisoners and probationers in order to maintain the mandated population levels (Etchichury, 2020).
ii. Second supporting idea
· Topic Sentence: The ability to authorize the confinement and safe care of convicts are administrative tasks in corrections.
· Supporting Sentence- Perpetrators are reformed and rehabilitated via counseling, therapy, instructional, and vocational initiatives and they generate criminals for the courts to help in the administration of justice. Essentially, discrimination, domination, and intimidation by prominent and dominating prisoners are examples of diversity concerns in correctional institutions in the United States and across the world (Day, 2021). Being culturally sensitive means assuming that some crimes are solely committed by the black population.
When it comes to the correctional facility it is up to the court officials to find other punishment for the criminals in order to avoid the overpopulation in the facilities. It is also the administration job to make sure that the convicts are protected while in the jails. The officials should apply equality to all individuals to avoid the cultural and diversity concerns that have grown in the detention institutions.
Day, A., Tamatea, A., & Geia, L. (2021). Cross-cultural practice frameworks in correctional settings. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 101674.
Etchichury, H. J. (2020). Beyond Blue. Restrictive Interpretations on Social Rights: Police Officers’ and Corrections Officers’ Unions before the Supreme Court. Derechos en Accion, 17, 341.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Fill in all the assignment paper details that are required in the order form with the standard information being the page count, deadline, academic level and type of paper. It is advisable to have this information at hand so that you can quickly fill in the necessary information needed in the form for the essay writer to be immediately assigned to your writing project. Make payment for the custom essay order to enable us to assign a suitable writer to your order. Payments are made through Paypal on a secured billing page. Finally, sit back and relax.