NPR1034 Exploring the Evidence Base for Nursing Associates Case Study Assignment Aim: A case study exploring the evidence base for nursing associates in relation to decision making in practice. Part A – Select only one from the 3 case studies given. Discuss this case study to include the physiology, appropriate clinical decisions making theories and nursing process for 1 of the clinical decisions made within the case study.
NPR1034 Exploring the Evidence Base for Nursing Associates
Case Study Assignment
Aim: A case study exploring the evidence base for nursing associates in relation to decision making in practice.
Part A – Select only one from the 3 case studies given.
Discuss this case study to include the physiology, appropriate clinical decisions making theories and nursing process for 1 of the clinical decisions made within the case study.
Also explore at least 1 lifestyle choice within the case study and the impact of this on the health and wellbeing of the case study.
Part B – Make future positive lifestyle choice recommendations involving other health care professionals and organisations, concluding with the development of your own future practice.
NOTE – Both Part A and Part B need to be completed to achieve all the Learning Outcomes.
Module Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the module, with limited guidance, students will
be able to:
Subject-Specific Knowledge, Understanding & Application
a) Recognise the evidence base and range of factors involved in decision making and demonstrate an ability to apply to nursing practice
b) Examine the evidence base and participate in opportunities to influence positive
lifestyle choices in individuals, families and communities
c) Examine situations and question with transparency and candour the appropriateness
of nursing care underpinned by evidence base
d) Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the Anatomy and physiology
of the human body
Employability & Changemaker Skills
e) Within the context of health recognise personal and professional challenges
and identify potential solutions
f) Reflect on personal contribution to the team and identify strategies for
Submission: Please refer to ‘Assessment submission’ tab for details of date and time.
Content and Structure
Title page to ONLY include the following:
• NPR1032 AS1 Case study Assignment
• Word count for introduction, parts A&B and conclusion
Introduction approx.100 words in the 3rd person
• State your chosen case study and rationale [reason/s for choosing this].
• Provide an overview of what will be discussed within Part A and Part B of the assignment.
1. Your patient [Learning Outcome d] approx. 300 words in the 3rd person
• Overview of the presenting complaint briefly outlining the relevant body system and the psychosocial factors to be considered.
2. Decision making theory and nursing process [Learning Outcomes a & c] approx. 1000 words in the 3rd person
• Apply a decision-making theory and discuss the factors that could have influenced 1 clinical decision made during this episode of care.
• Support this by exploring the evidence/literature/research to demonstrate an in depth understanding of the nursing process. (Your discussion regarding the nursing process should be written from the perspective of a nursing associate. A nursing associate contributes and implements care rather than to plan it.)
3. Lifestyle choices [Learning Outcome b] approx.1000 words in the 3rd person
• Discuss at least 1 lifestyle choice from your case study.
• Explain how this may have contributed to the current health problem within the case study.
• Support this by exploring the evidence/literature/research that relates to this.
• Consider the issues relating to quality of life, including physiological and psychological benefits and relevant compliance/concordance issues.
Reflection and Recommendations [Learning Outcomes e & f] approx. 500 words in the 1st person
• Consider positive lifestyle recommendations for the person, involving the role of other health care professionals and organisations.
• Reflect on undertaking this case study, discussing how it will influence your decision making for the future care of patients alongside your professional self-development.
Conclusion – approx. 100 words in the 3rd person.
A succinct evaluation of your main discussion points within Part A and Part B, which demonstrates your ability to synthesize this evidence.
This should include no new information.
Reference page – not included in the word count
Use contemporary literature from reliable nursing and healthcare sources over the past 10 years to underpin all discussion points raised within your work. The UoN Harvard Referencing guide must be used both in the text and Reference List.
Appendices – optional. – not included in the word count
All illustrations must be relevant to your chosen case study, numbered sequentially, referenced appropriately, referred to within the main assignment and placed here.
Aim for a professional appearance to your assignment.
• Part A should be written in the third person.
• Part B should be written in the 1st person.
• Only use the Harvard System of referencing as per University Reference Guidelines. Each entry should be single line spaced, double spacing between each reference.
• This work should demonstrate academic writing at level 4.
• Keep to the stated word limits or 10% more or less. More than 10% additional word count will not be marked.
• The assignment pages [excluding the Title page] should contain a header or footer with page numbers.
• The assignment should be typed in one of the follow font and type: Font size 11, font type Verdana, Arial or Calibri only.
• The assignment should be 1.5 line spaced with a 1 inch/2.54 cms margin both sides
• Any documentation included in the Appendices should not identify any organisation or Trust.
• Please save a copy of your original work on your computer and on a cloud storage facility.
Throughout your work you may refer to your chosen case study using their name and/or any one of the following terms:
• Young person
• Service user