You are required to write an op-ed with a clear topic about a vulnerable group or population in Singapore. An op-ed is an opinion piece that is meant for publication in a newspaper. To write a good op-ed, you need to demonstrate a good understanding of the topic, both in terms of depth and breadth. In this assignment, the topic related to the chosen vulnerable group will be related to the concepts and terms discussed in the ESG of SCO119. You will also be required to use scientific referring in the op-ed writing.
The op-ed should demonstrate your knowledge about issues related to the vulnerable group or population in Singapore. The op-ed topic should be a topic to one of the aspects of the social life of the chosen vulnerable group or population in Singapore in today’s context. The topic should show a relationship between the vulnerable group or population and the topic.
You will describe the sociodemographic, sociocultural, social-psychological, and socioeconomic characteristics of the chosen group or population. You will interpret the impacts due to stigma, stereotypes, discrimination, risk, precarity, etc. mentioned in SU1 on this group or population. Moreover, you will demonstrate relevant quantitative or qualitative data to support your arguments and empirical evidence in Singapore or in other countries. You will develop thoughtful suggestions to improve the current situation to conclude the op-ed.
You will be assessed holistically and the following breakdown of tasks will help guide you in developing and organizing your op-ed:
- Define a vulnerable group or population in Singapore and an op-ed topic.
- Describe the relevant sociodemographic, sociocultural, social-psychological, and/or socioeconomic characteristics of the chosen vulnerable group or population in Singapore.
- Interpret the impacts related to stigma, stereotypes, discrimination, risk, precarity, etc. mentioned in SU1 on the social, economic, and/or psychological outcomes of the chosen vulnerable group in Singapore.
- Demonstrate relevant quantitative data and/or qualitative data to enhance the
arguments and empirical evidence. Relevant images, graphs, and charts that are relevant to the analysis can also be included.
- Develop thoughtful suggestions to improve the current situations of the chosen vulnerable group or population.
- Cite relevant and credible sources in APA Style. Although usually, op-eds do not need references, for this exercise you need to demonstrate that all the information you use for this piece is based on reliable sources. All references should be properly cited.