02 Mar The purpose of this assignment is to analyze the text, The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog, by Bruce D. Perry and Maia Szalavitz. In
The purpose of this assignment is to analyze the text, The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog, by Bruce D. Perry and Maia Szalavitz.
In Applied Human Behavior in the Social Environment, review:
- Chapter 8, “Social Influences on Human Behavior,” pages 147–168.
- Chapter 11, “Major Life Phases Influencing Human Behavior: Childhood,” pages 220–238.
After reading the book, you will answer the questions listed below. Some questions will solicit your personal opinions or experiences, while others require you to cite evidence to support your response. Still others will require you to provide examples to support your work. All questions require you to think critically about what you read. To show comprehensive analysis in response to each question, you will need to do the following:
- Integrate multiple sources of knowledge, including research-based knowledge.
- Use social work databases as appropriate to support responses.
- Use scholarly evidence to inform analysis of social work practice.
- Use the textbook materials to apply the person-in-environment perspective in social work practice to the individual or family in the case study.
- Remember this is a written assignment, and it should follow current APA formatting for submission of written assignments.
Answer the following questions using the guidelines provided above:
- In the introduction to The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog, Perry draws a distinction between being human and being humane (Perry & Szalavitz, 2017, p. 12). What are the differences? Provide a personal or historical example to illustrate your point.
- What is the author’s main idea? Summarize it in 1–2 sentences. Does he consistently come back to this idea in each case he examines? Explain using examples from the various chapters.
- In many of the sessions Dr. Perry has with the children, he describes doing a coloring activity with them. How does this help his relationship with the children? What are some of his techniques?
- In your opinion, do the children you read about in The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog have an opportunity to experience a normal adult life? Explain your answer; cite the text if possible.
- In Chapter 4, “Skin Hunger,” Perry describes and explains the concept of the “failure to thrive” (Perry & Szalavitz, 2017, pp. 89–91). What does this mean? What were some key points about the ability to thrive that were made in the chapter? What are some of the causes and lasting problems associated with the condition?
- What is a good environment? Does this vary based on cultural or economic reasons?
- According to the text, why was Tina unable to behave normally for a child her age? Is she a “lost cause,” as they say, or does she still have the ability to overcome the difficulties of her youth? Cite the text, and provide evidence to support your opinion.
- In Chapter 5, “The Coldest Heart,” Leon is diagnosed as a sociopath (Perry & Szalavitz, 2017, pp. 112–113). In your well-read opinion, who is responsible for his condition? Explain, providing textual support and evidence. What can we learn from his story?
- Summarize the story of Chapter 6, “The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog,” in 5–8 sentences. What lessons did Dr. Perry learn from Connor and Justin?
- Which is more important, nature, which is biology, or nurture, which is the environment? Provide an example.
- Are the roles of socioeconomic class and race important elements in the work that Dr. Perry does? Does he handle these issues well? Explain.
- What is RAD (Perry & Szalavitz, 2017, pp. 192–194)? How does a child acquire the disorder, and what are the symptoms?
- In his conclusion, Dr. Perry gives a summation of his ideas. What are some of the ways in which Dr. Perry suggests children, and all people, can thrive?
- In Chapter 11, “Healing Communities,” Dr. Perry states, “The world we live in now is biologically disrespectful” (Perry & Szalavitz, 2017, p. 262). Explain what he means, and interpret the idea. Do you agree?
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.