Write a 750-1000 word essay about a pair of items in which the similarities and differences of those items are compared and contrasted in the style described within Unit III.
Comparative Essay Draft
Write a 750-1000 word essay about a pair of items in which the similarities and differences of those items are compared and contrasted in the style described within Unit III. Please note that the Comparative Essay Final will be due in Unit IV of this course. However, you should complete the entire paper in this draft and do your best work as you will have more applicable feedback from which to make changes to your essay for the final draft.
Purpose: Throughout Unit III, we have discussed the conventions of the comparative essay. The purpose of this assignment is to measure your mastery of those conventions by putting your knowledge into practice. In a larger context, the purpose of writing a comparative essay is to gain the skills of detecting similarities and differences between at least two items and then using those similarities and differences to create knowledge about either one or both of the items. In this way, the comparative essay is a tool used for both observation and analysis.
Process: For the comparative essay, you will complete the following steps:
Choose a pair of topics that complement one another: See the suggested list of topics in the “Comparative Essay Topics Handout” below in the supplemental documents portion of these instructions.
Create a list of similarities and differences: See Unit III, Lesson 2, for more instruction about how to create a list.
Create a thesis statement based on similarities, differences, or both similarities and differences: See Unit III, Lesson 3, for more information about how to create a thesis statement.
Choose whether to organize your essay by point or by subject: For an essay organized by point, see Unit III, Lesson 4, and the “Comparative Essay Example: Essay Organized by Point” below. For an essay organized by subject, see Unit III, Lesson 5, and the “Comparative Essay Example: Essay Organized by Subject” below.
Consult the “Comparative Essay: Final Self-Check List” below before submission.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
Include one-inch margins on all sides.
Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below titles and centered words).
Include an APA title page (for all essays) and reference list that includes all of the sources used in the essay.
Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
Adhere to APA convention and documentation style.
At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.
The following documents will assist you in creating this assignment:
Comparative Essay Topics Handout
Comparative Essay Self-check List
Comparative Essay Example: Essay Organized by Subject
Comparative Essay Example: Essay Organized by Point
- Increasing Your Cultural Competence
- influences of the american political system
- Write a 750-1000 word essay about a pair of items in which the similarities and differences of those items are compared and contrasted in the style described within Unit III.
- Role of women in Native American Tribe (choose one only) 1000-1800CE
- Pick a few of the following points and include them in an essay about covid 19 and the changes that have been accruing since the start of the pandemic. How will COVID-19 change life. Pros and cons
- Write a short essay (e.g. a page; pass/fail) on “leading an organizational transformation”
- Explain why workers are forced to sell their labor power as suggested in the quotation above.
- cotton and slavery
- Write an argumentative essay about vaccines from the side of someone who is against vaccinations and some one how is pro vaccination. Do vaccines cause autism? Is vaccination for everyone? Is gettin
- Write one paragraph giving thoughtful suggestions on how to apply or use your research. Include why this topic interested you and how it affects the development of your educational philosophy.